Sunday, July 22, 2007
tomatillo salsa with lime
1. get 1 quart of tomatillos from the farmers market at RFK Stadium parking lot
2. peel papery skins off tomatillos and wash well - they are sticky!
3. cut tomatillos into bite-size pieces
4. put tomatillos in sauce pan with water to cover. bring to a boil then turn down to simmer until tomatillos turn dark green and the flesh is soft. drain well.
41/2. while the tomatillos are simmering, finely chop a medium-sized onion.
5. after you drain the tomatillos, mix the hot fruit with the minced onions.
6. spice, to taste, with:
-hearty dash of Uncle Brotha's Fire Sauce #9 - chili verde, garlic & ginger (or more to taste). yum.
-pinch of cumin
-big dash of adobo seasoning
-juice of one lime
make it as spicy or citrusy as you like. if you're not blessed with fire sauce #9, you can use any raw hot pepper (put it in with the raw onions before the tomatillos) or another chili sauce. If you prefer a less chunky salsa, you can buzz it in the blender for a minute.
Serve with lime tortilla chips or on grilled veggie + black bean tacos.
at 7:21 PM