Friday, October 06, 2006

the Science of Sleep




Dave & I went to see THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP last week. I LOVE!!! It. I think you would like it too...
You can check out the trailer, but I don't think it even begins to represent how artful, reflective, romantic, unusual and compelling it is. The story is of a Mexican - Stefane (Gael Garcia Bernal) staying in his mother's apartment in France who falls in love with his next door neighbor - Stefanie (Charlotte Gainsbourgh). Stefane has trouble distinguishing between dreams & reality. Stefanie is a somewhat mousey artist who creates warm & fragile seeming sculpture/toys out of cloth. The film is in English French & Spanish and the sets often include collage & animation made with cardboard & cellophane. I love it SOOOOO much. Oh my god. It's definitely not for people who don't appreciate art, but no one likes them anyway.
I think I spent so much time thinking about dreaming last night/this morning that I'm still not really awake. I'm so impressed by the director, frenchman Michele Gondry (ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND) - how does he see in that way that creates beautiful, dreamlike, and strange sets yet they are totally believable??

1 comment:

d'shazier said...

I haven't seen this yet, but want to. I'm a little afraid to see it in the theater because Gael Garcia Bernal makes me want to do "inappropriate" things... sigh..........